Spring is a great time of the year in the wonderful state of Colorado. With the weather as unpredictable as the line at the local DMV office, it is the time of year in Colorado where skiing and boating are both viable options for recreation. With a wide variety of activities to choose from this time year, these are my top picks for fun family activities around Denver this spring.
- Colorado School of Mines Edays– Even though this might be geared towards college students there is lots of fun to be found at this spring tradition in Golden. For three days the school hosts Engineer Days that includes fireworks, a cardboard canoe race, a soapbox derby, and a trebuchet launching competition. The competitions are entered by Mines’ students only but watching it all is great family fun. This year the festival runs April 9th through April 11th
- Colorado Rockies– There is nothing that says spring like a good baseball game. Come cheer on your Colorado Rockies with the whole family. The Rockies home opener is Friday April 10th.
- Arvada Kite Festival– Scheduled for April 12th this year, bring a kite and enjoy this free family festival that includes music, food vendors, community booths, and other fun activities. This year the festival is being held at the Stenger Soccer Complex.
- LEGO® Americana Roadshow: Building Across America– Running April 11th through April 26th at the Park Meadows Mall, this event will showcase iconic buildings and structures throughout the shopping center made of LEGO® bricks. There will also be free hands-on activities for your lego lover.
- Boulder Creek Festival-Free to the public with over 9 separate event areas, 500 vendors, 4 performance stages, carnival rides and the popular rubber ducky race this festival is a great way to spend Memorial Day Weekend, May 23rd through May 25th
- Heritage Square Alpine Slide– In case you haven’t heard this is the last season that the iconic alpine slide will be up and running at Heritage Square. Whether you have never tried out the slide or are yearly regulars like our family, be sure to get a few trips in this year before it closes. The slide will be opening May 25th.
- City Park Ice Cream Social– An annual event provided by the City Park Alliance and City Council District 8 includes free ice cream provided by Boulder Ice Cream. Running May 29th from 6-9pm, the event also includes The Denver Municipal Band playing a concert to the Electric Fountain show, face painting, entertainers, and historical costumes.
- Denver Chalk Art Festival– Say goodbye to spring and welcome in summer with some outdoor culture and fun. Running June 6th and 7th this festival turns Larimer Square into a chalk art museum. Kids love checking out the fascinating drawings and parents can enjoy the wine pavilions and live music.
- Colorado Rapids– The Rapids kicked off their first regular season home game on March 21st and with the season running all the way until October, this is a great family activity for spring, summer, and fall.
- Botanic Gardens -The Denver Botanic Gardens is a great place to visit with kids anytime of the year but spring is my personal favorite. With flowers beginning to bloom and kids needing to run some energy off, it is the perfect place to spend an afternoon. If you have a horse lover in the family, the upcoming art exhibit “The Nature of Horses” might be of interest as well.
What spring events in the area are you looking forward to?