Today we’re excited to bring you the next installment in our Mountain Mama series! If you’re just joining us, in this series we’ll be introducing you to how families live, love, and grow around our beautiful state. Our last entry was about the charming Arkansas River Valley town of Salida, and today we’re talking with a mama from the magical high-country paradise of Aspen/Snowmass! So without further ado…
1. Tell us about you and what took you away from the big city!
I’m Virginia! I live in Old Snowmass Village, a quick 20-minute drive from Aspen, with my husband, son, and avalanche rescue dog, Zara. I moved to Aspen in 2006 after graduating from college. I thought I’d stay for a year, but almost 10 years later, it’s hard to imagine life anywhere else. Aspen is the perfect town and valley for people of all ages and stages of life. We adore the outdoors: skiing, running, hiking, paddle boarding, and just exploring! Aspen also has amazing culinary and art scenes, which keep us very busy.
2. Favorite resources in your town for kids?
Aspen is a kids paradise. There are unlimited hiking trails, a few different ski areas, multiple pools, and a surprising amount of activities to do with little ones: painting, music class, story time, swimming lessons, and more.
3. Best time of year to visit?
Late summer to early fall is the best time to visit! Aspen/Snowmass isn’t as busy later in the year and there is the perfect crispness in the air.
4. Not-to-miss activities or attractions?
- Saturday Farmer’s Market in Aspen
- A trip up the Silver Queen Gondola to the top of Aspen Mountain (live music on the weekend, a ton of games, food, and more!)
- The Aspen Recreation Center pool
- Horseback riding
- playing in the musical fountain
- visiting Aspen Center for Environmental Studies at Hallam Lake or Rock Bottom Ranch
- walking around the Aspen Art Museum
5. What do you miss about the city?
Amazon Prime is the best thing that ever happened. It allows us to feel as though we don’t live in SUCH a tiny bubble. Being in a small town though, we do miss having gyms with daycare and mommy-me workout classes.
6. Reasons you love raising a family in your town?
We love raising our family here, as we have the perfect outdoor playground plus many of the amenities of a city: great food, art, activities, and more. As our little one gets bigger, we’ll be able to let him run around our neighborhood and not feel constantly concerned.