When my oldest son was born in 2000, I had a nice paying job and my husband was a fresh-out-of-college freelancing sports journalist. Needless to say, it probably wasn’t the most logical decision to quit my job and become a stay at home mom but I was determined. I decided the only way to make this work was to get a part-time work at home job.
Back then, there were a lot less work from home opportunities and a lot more work at home scams. Luckily for me, I ran across a legitimate data entry company pretty quickly and this helped make ends meet to stay home with our firstborn. Over the years as our family grew and our situation changed I found it necessary to change jobs several times. I was very blessed to always find something that fit out family’s needs. Here are five legitimate ways moms can make money from home.
- Work from Home Jobs– These are positions working with a company either as an employee or as an independent contractor. The benefit is that you have a guaranteed income that is usually an hourly wage or sometimes on a pay-per-piece bases for data entry or writing jobs. The downside is that some of these positions require you to stick to a set schedule which can be difficult with younger kids when you are working around naps and bedtimes. However, each company’s requirements vary so more than likely there is something that would be a good fit for you and your family. The most common work from home jobs include virtual call centers, data entry, transcription, online tutoring, online chat customer service, online test graders, and search engine evaluators.
- Work from Home Businesses- If you have a hobby that you love or a skill that you would love to use more often then this is a chance to turn that into a business. Start your own company where you can set your own hours. Many moms sell crafts on Etsy, start a business with a skill such as photography, or open them homes to other kids by starting a childcare business. Other options include the huge myriad of direct sales companies out there. There are a lot to choose from but the people who are the most successful in these types of businesses are the ones who find a product they love themselves and make a business out of sharing that passion with others.
- Mystery Shopping– Yes this really is a legitimate way to make money. There are hundreds of companies out there willing to pay you to visit the same stores and run the same errands that you already do on a weekly basis and then report back on the the customer service you received and your overall shopping experience. Getting free meals or free tickets to events you are going to mystery shop can be additional perks. You will not get rich by any means doing mystery shopping but some moms find it a fun way to make some extra cash.
- Extra Cash Sites- Some moms don’t want a work from home job or business but need a little extra cash from time to time. There are all kinds of different ways you can earn a little extra money on your computer while relaxing on your couch. Testing websites, money making apps, and short task sites are some of the ways you can add a little extra cash to your pockets.
- Blogging/Writing- There are a wide variety of companies out there that will pay you to write articles online. Those with no experience may have to start at some of the sites like that pay very little but once you have some published articles that can be used as writing samples, there is no end to the amount of money you can make. Freelance writing offers one of the most flexible work from home opportunities as you can make your own hours and work for as few or as many companies as you would like therefore determining your work load. Blogging is another great way you can earn money from home. Moms who have something to say and think that there are others that would be interested in their viewpoint can stand to earn a lot from their blog. Don’t think this will happen overnight though, it takes a lot of time to start a blog, build an audience, and start monetizing your site.